If you have a home in Los Angeles with a swimming pool in the backyard, you should follow several helpful maintenance tips. Even if a professional comes to your house weekly to keep the water clean and the equipment running, it never hurts to know about pool maintenance in case that individual is unable to come for an extended length of time.
Especially in warm Los Angeles, slacking on pool maintenance could become a problem all year round. The last thing you want is an unusable pool with green or cloudy water. With a few simple tips, you can keep your pool in pristine condition. You may even let your hired help go.
- Scrubbing and Skimming – To maintain your swimming pool, make scrubbing and skimming part of the schedule. Removing floating debris and keeping the sides and bottom of the pool clean requires little effort and time. If preferred, have a robotic cleaner installed that handles this portion of the maintenance for you.
- Filter – Include regular cleaning of the filter part of ongoing pool maintenance. Along with removing leaves, dirt, and other small items from the filter, you should know how to clean out the pipes associated with the filtration system. By doing this once a month, the filter works properly and lasts longer.
- Chemicals – For clean and sanitary water, use the right type of chemicals and in the correct amount. You can purchase an inexpensive testing kit that makes this process easy and accurate. Ideally, check the chemicals once a week.
- Shocking – Another part of pool maintenance you should know about is how to shock it if you notice the water clouding. With this action, the chlorine levels increase dramatically over a short amount of time.
- Water Level – Los Angeles stays warm throughout the year, especially during the summer months. That could decrease the water level creating problems. Try to keep the level halfway up to the opening of the skimmer.